dd Rand0m Access: Moving rooms -- again???

Analytics 4

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Moving rooms -- again???

I'll fill in the detail here later - but we are back in our original room after I let the staff have an earful. A polite earful. But an earful.


Okay, so I'm back - and actually, we moved again. Back to our original room!!!

Now, I understand some moving around, and it's been long enough that I've cooled down a bit and am allowing that a couple of the moves couldn't have been avoided.

We were first moved because Antonia needed to watch two patients - and they need to be adjacent for her to do that safely. So we moved to the negative pressure isolation room. Yay! More space! Better windows! And then, ugh - it's hot. And you already know about being unable to fix the air from Sara's blog.

So we are moved to a room 25 feet from the original. It's a small room, but we get everything set up fine -- and it has air! Yay! And good windows! (It is small, but we're pretty efficient with the layout since this is our 3rd try.) And we're doing great. Then, in the morning after both of us get a nice snooze going -- moving again!!!

This was across the hall, 25 feet, back to our original room. I flipped. (Politely.) I wanted to know what possible reasons could we have for moving an ICU patient to her fourth room in less than 48 hours!! I was told the room we were in had to be a Peds room - all of them over there were Peds. I was told that the nurses needed to be able to cover for each other, and that across the hall was too far. At one point, the charge nurse even (I think) tried to make me feel guilty for asking by mentioning that the small child in the room next to us would be in danger because of the nurse arrangements. While I would never wish to endanger a child, when you're at a one-to-one nurse-to-patient ratio... Whatever. It's just been part of the repeated frustration working with a brand new hospital that doesn't have all the kinks worked out.

Like I said, I've cooled down. I still think it's ridiculous to move this many times. And I still think it's bad planning to move us to a Peds room if that was a known requirement. But if something else happens and we need to move to another ICU room... I'll still flip again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock. Love to you both!!!

Judy Larison said...

You go, man. It's all about Sara. And the patients who come after may benefit from the education the staff gets now.
Love, Mom

erika said...

Mike - you're an angel straight from heaven! Peta is so lucky to have you (and the rest of the calvary) there to help her through this!

xoxoxox.
your SIL

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.